There are a lot of things to think about when you’re running a business. One thing that may not be on your mind, but definitely should be, is phone etiquette. The way you conduct yourself over the phone can make or break your business relationships. In this article, we will provide some of the best advice you can hear about business phone etiquette. Following this advice will help you come across as professional and courteous to your clients and customers
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Business Phone Etiquette?
- 2 The Best Advice You Can Hear About Business Phone Etiquette
- 2.1 1. Answer the phone as quickly as possible.
- 2.2 2. Speak clearly and distinctly.
- 2.3 3. Be straightforward with the caller and help them as needed.
- 2.4 4. Limit distractions and focus on the caller.
- 2.5 5. Maintain your composure even throughout a difficult talk.
- 2.6 6. Concentrate on the solutions rather than the problems.
- 3 Does Your Business Need a Reliable Virtual Receptionist?
What is Business Phone Etiquette?
Business phone etiquette is how you conduct yourself over the phone when speaking with clients, customers, or other professionals. There are a few key things to keep in mind when it comes to business phone etiquette, including politeness, clarity, and professionalism.
The Best Advice You Can Hear About Business Phone Etiquette
The way people talk over the phone tells a lot about their personal as well as business character. The tone, volume, and cadence of one’s voice help create an image in the listener’s mind and have a huge impact on how your message is being perceived. The way you sound on the phone is your calling card and can make or break a deal. Here are some techniques for using proper business phone etiquette:
1. Answer the phone as quickly as possible.
When the phone rings twice or three times, it’s better to answer it. This provides the person on the other end of the line adequate time to prepare for the phone to be answered. You can catch the individual off surprise if you answer the phone too soon. However, if you answer the phone too late, the person on the other end of the line may become nervous or irritated and hang up the phone. Also, ignoring the call and putting it on voicemail may appear to the caller as if you are ignoring them, which may cause them to become upset or frustrated.
• Be the first to greet customers and give them a positive experience
• Assist customers with their needs promptly
• Create customer loyalty by providing excellent service
• Maintain a professional attitude and voice
2. Speak clearly and distinctly.
It is best to ensure that your voice is conveyed while maintaining the conversation. When you speak clearly and at the proper tempo, the other person will be able to comprehend what you’re saying. You should also keep your voice loud at a reasonable and calm level. Your voice will sound more professional as a result of this. Speaking clearly and at the appropriate volume will instill confidence in the person on the other end, allowing them to believe in your capacity to assist them.
• Speak clearly to communicate more effectively
• Speak with confidence to make a great first impression
• Be clear and articulate on the phone for better customer service
3. Be straightforward with the caller and help them as needed.
It’s best to be honest with the client if you’re having trouble answering their questions or dealing with their request. It’s okay if you have to inform them that you require their assistance. Keep the dialogue open and honest, and that person’s faith in you and your employer will continue to grow.
• Be straightforward with the caller and help them as needed
• Put someone on hold routinely by asking permission first
• Ask for permission to put the person on hold to get their desired
4. Limit distractions and focus on the caller.
Staying focused on the discussion is part of phone etiquette. Allowing people to meddle with the phone conversation and distract you is a good idea. In the event of a distraction, you may mishear or misinterpret the caller’s message. If you give the caller the wrong information or repeatedly ask them to repeat what they’re saying, they may become disheartened. The caller will be more likely to be happy with your service if you are focused on the discussion and attentive to every detail the caller gives.
• Keep distractions to a minimum and focus on the caller
• Maintain clear communication by paying attention to every detail
• Avoid misinterpretations and give the caller the right information
• Show that you’re interested in their needs
5. Maintain your composure even throughout a difficult talk.
During a phone conversation, it’s likely that a difficult circumstance will emerge. If this happens, you’ll want to keep your cool and keep your speech clear, courteous, and honest at all times. Take a few deep breaths to calm yourself and try to reassure the caller that you are trying to help them if you are frustrated. If the caller is still irritated or angry, ask to put them on hold so that you can get a manager or another employee on the line to assist them.
• Keep your composure during difficult phone talks
• Stay courteous and honest
• Take a few deep breaths to calm yourself
• Get help from another employee if needed
6. Concentrate on the solutions rather than the problems.
Try to discover solutions for everyone you speak with on the phone, regardless of your position in the firm. When it comes to submitting warranty claims or addressing product queries, customer service representatives have a lot of options for this. Rescheduling appointments or just transferring information to another employee in your firm are examples of options. Your incoming phone callers are more likely to have a favorable opinion of you and your firm if you are willing to assist them.
• Increase your chances of solving their problem
• Build relationships and win clients
• Simplify what you do
• Do more than just answer the phone
Does Your Business Need a Reliable Virtual Receptionist?
Reliable Receptionist helps small to mid-sized businesses enhance their professional image, improve customer service, manage workload and convert callers to become loyal clients. At Reliable Receptionist, we not only provide simple answering services but you can be confident your company’s incoming calls will be immediately answered by one of up to five trained representatives assigned to your account. Our off-site receptionists are professionally ready to answer questions about your business, provide directions, capture critical lead information, schedule appointments, and forward calls to the appropriate department depending on your set guidelines. One of the many advantages of using an off-site receptionist with advanced call handling technology is that your calls can be privately announced and seamlessly connected to you in real-time on any phone number. Many of our clients provide multiple connecting numbers for us so we always have the best way to reach you. Let’s Work Together! For more information or to request a quote and free demonstration, send us a message or call us today at (925) 627-4200.