Almost every business relies on the telephone to communicate with customers, clients, and other businesses. It’s important to have good phone etiquette to make a positive impression and project a professional image. In this blog post, we will discuss the basics of business phone etiquette. We’ll cover topics such as answering the phone, leaving voicemails and handling difficult calls. Following these tips will help you sound polished and professional when you’re on the phone!
Table of Contents
What is the Significance of Business Phone Etiquette?
Business phone etiquette is the manner of communication appropriate for a business context, whether it’s the voice you choose on the phone or your telephone manners. Businesses rely heavily on written and verbal communication to help ensure that customers have clear expectations when they make purchases or seek support in problem-solving situations. Businesses also use this type of communication to help generate sales leads and build customer loyalty through advertisements.
• Use an appropriate tone of voice
• Make clear and concise statements to avoid confusion
• Be professional, authoritative, and courteous
Business telephones can be used throughout all aspects of operations including sales, marketing, administration, training sessions/seminars presentations, etc., thus having good telephone etiquette is important to maintain professionalism and credibility.
The following example demonstrates how crucial it is to have good telephone manners when conversing on the phone:
1. Answer the Phone Professionally
When you professionally communicate through the phone, it shows professionalism. This gives consumers the impression that they are in good hands and makes them more likely to do business with you again.
2. Good Impression
When you communicate by phone, you leave a good and lasting impression. When you follow the proper telephone etiquette, the receiver will be treated with respect. Following telephone etiquette can help you earn the confidence of your potential consumers. As a result, customers become loyal to you and regularly purchase your products and services.
3. Customer Delight
Customers are more confident in their positive telephone interactions, which helps to provide consistency and completeness.
Phone Etiquette Rules That Are Necessary to Follow
There are a few phone etiquette rules that are necessary to follow if you want to maintain a professional image while on the phone. Here are some of the most important ones:
Answer the phone within three rings.
Don’t let it ring more than three times. A good practice is to answer the phone before your voicemail does. If you are unable to do so, make sure your voicemail message is professional and that you return calls as soon as possible.
- Answer within three rings
- Smile when answering and be prepared to listen
- Don’t hesitate to put the customer on hold if necessary but keep it brief
- Always return calls as soon as possible
Greeting Callers Professionally
One of the most critical aspects of business phone etiquette is how you greet callers. Business calls are all about professionalism, so it’s important to be prepared before answering them.
Introduce Yourself Right Away
When starting a call, always state your name before getting into any details. This shows that you are respectful of the other person’s time by not wasting it with small talk. It also helps to set a positive tone for the conversation and shows that you’re professional.
Speak clearly and professionally.
Be aware that you’re speaking, and avoid mumbling or slurring your words. As you speak clearly and professionally, enunciate each word carefully to be sure the receiver hears what you are saying. Speak slowly so that the listener can hear everything properly. Don’t rush through any part of it; doing so will only confuse them. The other person on the line doesn’t know how fast or slow they should be talking back at you when they don’t know who’s calling.
Always remember to be courteous.
Business phone etiquette isn’t about memorizing a list of dos and don’ts. It is more about being conscious of your attitude, approach, and mannerisms during telephone conversations with clients or customers. Always be courteous to everyone who calls even if they’re rude.
Business Phone Etiquette: A Dozen Do’s and Don’ts
When you’re on the phone, your words are all that matter. But what about the tone of your voice? How can you make sure that you sound professional and polished – even if you’re just having a conversation with a colleague?
Here are 12 tips for improving your Business Phone Etiquette:
- Speak clearly and at a moderate volume. You want to be heard, but you don’t want to shout.
- Use good grammar and enunciate your words. This is especially important when speaking to clients or customers.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If there’s noise in the background, try to find a quieter place to have your call. (And avoid talking on speakerphone in a public place!)
- Take a breath and relax before you answer the phone. It can be stressful to take a call, but if you sound calm and collected, your caller will feel reassured.
- Talk on the phone while you’re eating or drinking. You’ll sound like you have no manners – and it’s not professional!
- Multitask while you’re talking on the phone. This includes typing an email or checking Facebook. Your caller deserves your undivided attention.
- Curse, swear or use offensive language. Not only is this unprofessional, but it could also get you in trouble with HR.
- Be negative or complain about your job or co-workers. Again, this is unprofessional and will make you sound like a disgruntled employee.
- Sound impatient or condescending. Your caller is not stupid, and they don’t need to be talked down to.
Business telephone etiquette can be summed up with one word: manners. Just like you would at a dinner party or any other social gathering, use good manners when talking on the phone. Be polite and use a businesslike tone of voice. Remember, the person on the other end can’t see you, so it’s important to sound like you’re in control.
Does Your Business Need a Reliable Virtual Receptionist?
Reliable Receptionist helps small to mid-sized businesses enhance their professional image, improve customer service, manage workload and convert callers to become loyal clients. At Reliable Receptionist, we not only provide simple answering services but you can be confident your company’s incoming calls will be immediately answered by one of up to five trained representatives assigned to your account. Our off-site receptionists are professionally ready to answer questions about your business, provide directions, capture critical lead information, schedule appointments, and forward calls to the appropriate department depending on your set guidelines. One of the many advantages of using an off-site receptionist with advanced call handling technology is that your calls can be privately announced and seamlessly connected to you in real-time on any phone number. Many of our clients provide multiple connecting numbers for us so we always have the best way to reach you. Let’s Work Together! For more information or to request a quote and free demonstration, send us a message or call us today at (925) 627-4200.